27 December 2008

The Quest to Clean out and Declutter.

I've been trying to purge our house of overly expired products so that they don't move with us. We were eating frozen "wedding food" for 4 years after our wedding and my mom asked me the other day if we were still eating it because I've been trying to clear the old stuff out of our freezer and cupboards. (The "back of the freezer smoothies" were quite the adventure with possible breast milk contaminated carrots... Those followed the "back of the cupboard krispies" we fed the missionaries which were quite tasty). No, we don't have any wedding food left, but there is turkey from Thanksgiving 3 or 4 years ago... I'm thinking it will end up in the garbage... and the Ramen noodles that we were told were rancid 3 years ago by a house sitter and haven't been touched since. I am running out of time to use up the 2002 salad dressings which will surely move with us.

I did have a triumph today though. The attached photos are of lotion that has followed me from Colorado, two locations in Texas, to Nebraska. I'm thinking I've had the stuff since early high school by the 01/97 expiration date. I finally ran out of the "Vani Cream" in the pickle jar and came upon this stuff. I've been especially (as Ryan calls it:) "freakish" about washing my hands 20+ times a day (I think I've always been that way though) and have to put thick lotion and socks on my hands over night (especially in the winter) or they crack and bleed.
I haven't found my next purging project yet, but it's probably the giant bag of unshelled peanuts that hasn't been touched in a year or two. I'm not sure if they're rancid, but haven't been in a hurry to find out.

No comments: