30 August 2010

Benjamin is riding a 2-wheeler!

There are pluses and minuses to apartment living. One of the advantages for Benjamin is there are always kids around to play with. (I'm wondering how winter will be with us cooped up to avoid the cold. I guess we'll be inviting a lot of kids over.) Another good thing for him is that unless a toy is put away or being used by its owner, it is communal property.

Anyway, I was amazed when I got here that most all of the kids Benjamin's age were riding bicycles without training wheels. My parents bought him a bicycle "to grow into" for his birthday, so it's nice there's a bunch of little bikes without training wheels for him to practice on. (I'm thinking the training wheels on his bike will come off next summer).

There have been a few times Benjamin has asked me to help push him on the little bikes, but he wouldn't pedal and would just fall over when I let go. I'm also feeling particularly lethargic with this pregnancy, so pushing him around on a bicycle wasn't my top pastime. A week or so ago, Benjamin figured out he could ride his bike across the grass and then out of the blue he said to Ryan, "Hey daddy, look at me" and there he was on the sidewalk pedaling a bicycle without training wheels. We're not really sure if he'd been practicing a lot before that or what. Ryan tried to take some video of it, but every time Ryan started filming, Benjamin fell over. The footage I've included is from the 2nd and 3rd of Sept.

Benjamin doesn't normally wear a helmet on the quad, but he was wearing Cole's whose bike he was also borrowing.

Ryan was sitting by our door, trying to study, when he filmed this; so please ignore the porch railing!

No comments: