21 June 2009

Happy Father's Day!

Now a tribute to my dad. I hope I'm not getting too personal.

When I sent my dad (a.k.a. Pops -- I'm not sure when I started using that term, but it's mostly just when I'm addressing cards to him) his card this year I was thinking a lot about my childhood and young adulthood. He was a major influence in my success in life especially during my senior year of high school and college years.

I saw an article the other day about a study on "self-taught fathers" that gave me a bit of insight. On the story highlights it said: "The men who felt distant from their fathers focused on being a breadwinner and not wanting to be a “bad dad.”" See: http://byunews.byu.edu/archive09-Jun-fathers.aspx

I think my dad did an excellent job as a father especially considering that he didn't have an ideal role model in his formative years. My dad was a great breadwinner. He provided for us wonderfully. I have a lot of great childhood memories because of him. (Now mom, if you're reading this, this is in no way meant to lessen your role or influence in my life... I'll write a tribute to you another day when it's not almost midnight :)

I remember watching my dad shave off his mustache so he could dress up as a clown for Halloween. (Now to finally set the record straight: I know I said "He could put just it back on", but it was Halloween and I was envisioning a wax mustache like the wax lips, but no one ever gave me a chance to explain myself b/c they were so busy laughing about how silly my comment was. -- Yes my "Love Language" is being understood!)

I remember our camping and fishing trips and family vacations (Benjamin loves to hear the story of the sign that said "Back out straight") to Florida (Space Mountain), Utah (The almost empty gas tank... and not running out of gas. Blaring music while driving down the canyon to get to Grandpa's), Washington D.C. (Especially "MickyD's"!), Mexico, etc.

I remember my dad bringing a HUMVEE home and giving us a ride to school in it (can I say that out loud?) I remember being so proud of him when he came home from Desert Storm and visited my Jr. High class to talk about it.

I could go on and on, but now it's after midnight...

My dad taught me the importance of saving money and spending it wisely. He taught me patriotism. He taught me about dedication and hard work.

Yes, it's true, there was many a paper in H.S. that I probably never would have finished writing were it not for my dad sitting next to me until the wee hours of the night. I wouldn't have called anyone (I hate talking on the phone) to pull strings to get into A&M after the admission deadline. My dad helped me apply for my ROTC scholarship, went with me to visit A&M, and cheered me on when I was PTing.

Thanks Dad!!! I love you!

1 comment:

Erin said...

Personal is good - I love hearing about the people in your life that made you who you are.