16 September 2009

Colorado Trip 10-16 Sep 09

Benjamin, Alexander, and I made a somewhat random trip to Colorado. On Monday the 7th, I checked the price of airline tickets to Denver. A one way ticket for four days later was $75. (A great price especially less than a week in advance!) I had been planing a trip out to see my parents at some point, but just hadn't picked a time to go. That weekend was Stake Conference at church and I figured it would be easier to send Ryan to take good notes for me so we didn't have to find a babysitter for the adult session and sit through 2 hours of church on Sunday with the kids and I also wouldn't have to find a substitute to teach my Young Women's lesson that Sunday. My mom offered to drive us back to NE with a load of furniture they didn't need since they're trying to sell the cabin.
The flight attendant didn't make me remove Alexander from the Baby Bjorn until landing. Benjamin could have spent HOURS on the tram at DIA and was sad we only got to take a short one way trip, but my parents were waiting for us. He got a seat at the front of the tram with a couple other kids and didn't know to hold on when it started going. I had all the luggage and couldn't get up to where he was. Luckily the mom of the other kids put her hand behind Benjamin so he didn't fall over. I'm missing some of the photos my parents took so I'll have to add them later.I didn't pack very well and it was cool up at the cabin. Alexander had to wear Benjamin's sweat shirt, Benjamin wore mine, and I wore one of my mom's.

We went to Casa Bonita for lunch and didn't get a photo out front as tradition would dictate because it was cold and rainy. A diver climbed the rocks right by us while we were eating and had quite the conversation with Benjamin. We thought of capturing the moment after the fact. Benjamin liked the puppet show, but was not happy that I carried him through "Bad Bart's Hideout". He was also a little nervous around the "gorilla" in one of the diving acts. I'm not sure if we'll go again when he's older to appreciate it more because we had a crazy experience down in the caves. Alexander was asleep in the stroller with my dad. My mom, Benjamin and I went down to explore the caves where there's more dining areas. It was empty other than two waitresses who were carrying on a conversation. My mom said, "there's a mouse" and then I saw it scurrying across the floor. The one waitress screamed and the other one stomped on the mouse. Benjamin was quite disturbed by the situation as the mouse was still twitching on the floor. How do you explain that to a 3 year old?! When we related what happened to my dad, he was sure he was going to get food poisoning and he might have slightly. I think the mouse was a kind of a fluke because I talked to a friend who used to work there and she said they clean the kitchen nightly and fumigate monthly. It's such a big place, so it's probably hard to keep it pest free. The all you can eat sopapillas are still awesome!
This is a staged photo. I remember hiding under those same chairs when I was little.
On my birthday, we took Benjamin to a "sculpture zoo". At first the road to it looked closed because there was construction all over, but the construction flagger waved us through after we asked. I'm glad we asked.
Benjamin was intrigued with the bus. He looked through the doors at the steering column for a long time. He also really liked a VW Bug that looked like a giant spider. We stopped for Blizzards and then went to McDonald's for lunch. I'm not sure why it happened in that order other than we saw Dairy Queen on our way to McDonald's. The DQ was for me and McDonald's was for Benjamin.
My mom made me pose in the Birthday Chair at McDonald's.All I wanted for my birthday was a Magill's Ice Cream Cake and Strombolis. We ended up making homemade strombolis (Yummy!!!) and invited the Trlica's over for dinner. My parents bought me TWO ice cream cakes! We had cake almost every night we were with them!!!!

Benjamin rode in the passenger seat while Alexander and I were in the back of the extended cab on the drive home. Benjamin loved being up front and enjoyed waving at the semi drivers who would honk back at him.

No comments: