13 January 2010

Denver International Airport

Benjamin was fascinated by the "ugly horse" at DIA. He talked about it for two days after he rode with Grandma and Grandpa to pick Alexander and me up. I was trying to take a photo of it for him, but did not time it intentionally to be covered by the light post we were driving past. That brought up a whole other set of repeatedly asked questions.
I figured we could easily and happily burn a couple hours at the airport before our flight. Trains and airplanes are very entertaining to Benjamin. Benjamin loves pushing the stroller, so I didn't have to check luggage (0ther than a free car seat). Moving walkways were the only issue, but our gate was one of the first ones, so it was merely more entertainment we missed out on. People kept telling me how brave I was to be traveling with two small children... I'm not brave... weekly sacrament meeting at church is much more challenging.
I was afraid they'd decide to swap out the train car we were on when we stayed on after the last stop, but it was fine. The train does not turn around at the end, but switches over to the other track and goes in the opposite direction. Part of the time we got out and crossed over and part of the time we rode backwards. We stayed on the train too long and Alexander got a little fussy (after at least 45 minutes).
I am a well-seasoned traveler, but I was stumped when we got on the airplane. I only looked at one of our tickets and assumed we had the window and aisle. We sat down and a lady came up who said we were in her seat. I looked at a boarding pass (the other one) and saw we were indeed on the wrong side of the plane. Then it happened again. They had seated us across the aisle from each other! (...Because you can't check in on-line early with a lap infant -- so of course all the seats together are going to be gone). Luckily, the guy who showed up second didn't want to be seated next to my busy 3 year old and opted to sit next to the lady.

The only disappointment for Benjamin was the windows on the airplane were too high for him to see out of while he was sitting in his seat. We almost had an issue with him unbuckling when the seat belt sign was illuminated. The fact that it was only a little more than an hour long flight made that part bearable.

No comments: