01 May 2010

A Great Day at the Base Lake

I was going to send Ryan with the boys to the classic car show at the Durham while I got stuff done around the house, but the base lake was having an event at the same time. There were free boat rentals, free snow cones, bounce houses, and $1 hot dogs. We gave Benjamin the choice of what he wanted to do and he (to my surprise) picked the lake.

Alexander fell asleep on the way there, so I sat in the car with him and read the Ensign while Ryan and Benjamin canoed. As an update to this post, Ryan and Benjamin made the front cover of the base services magazine for June. Ryan didn't realize they had taken the photo. One of the brethren from our congregation in Bellevue saw the magazine and e-mailed Ryan about it.
Ryan and Benjamin brought us hot dogs and Alexander woke up just as they got back (from Ryan shutting the van door). The boys enjoyed a snow cone... Benjamin liked my blue raspberry one better than the bubble gum flavored one he and gotten and tried to swipe it from me.
We then went out on a paddle boat. Alexander wasn't so sure about being out on the water. He was very subdued the entire time. I am SO out of shape. We were paddling into the wind to get back to the dock and it was hard going. We were only out on the water about 10 minutes.
Benjamin then wanted to bounce. Alexander had never truly experienced a bounce house before. I don't think the event was well advertised because there were only about 50 people there. I only knew about it because I had seen a flier at base rental when I was picking up a tree pruner and tin snips. There was only one other kid in bounce house (Benjamin was in the other one being a "beast" to the big kids -- He was a little sad inside they were calling him a beast until Daddy told him to go "rwarh" at them... it worked).
Alexander had a great time flopping around. I'm really stressed about our move, but I don't want to focus solely on it and miss out on quality experiences. This was one of those experience I'm glad we took the time for.

No comments: