23 April 2011

Peeps S'mores: A New Easter Tradition

We went to Spring City on Saturday for our "Secular Easter" celebration.

The weather forecast earlier in the week said it would be warm and sunny, but on Friday evening it changed to 50% chance of rain/snow. Aunt Laura suggested we have an egg hunt up in the cedars and then roast hot dogs in a bonfire. I had seen Peeps s'mores on a blog and thought this would be a great opportunity to try them. It was raining on the drive down and we had hotdogs/hamburgers on the grill and the egg hunt upstairs in my Aunt and Uncle's house.

Alexander was excited to find some cars from Aunt Laura hidden for him. (He wiped out on a tricycle on Friday night while Ryan and I were on a Wal-mart date. Thus, the road rash on his face).

After we ate, Uncle Jeff thought it was nice enough to still have the bonfire. Benjamin was in hog heaven when Jeff started up the front loader and crushed some dead cedars for our bonfire.
Alexander had a great time with the big kids. Madison and Allison took good care of him.
Alexander got a hold of my camera and Cousin Kevin was a gracious subject.
Alexander was having fun with no-handed daddy... at first.
It seemed a little wrong to be roasting marshmallow chicks in the fire.
I've never met a peep I didn't like, so adding them to a Reese's peanut butter cup and graham cracker was a bit much. I wasn't so into the melted sugar coating either and got burned on it in the first round.
We brought the skull home with us. It's out on our porch and I'm not sure what we're going to do with it. I'm sure keeping it on our balcony is against some sort of BYU housing guideline.
I hope I'm as pretty as Aunt Laura when I'm a grandma. Thanks for the fun day Uncle Jeff and Aunt Laura!

No comments: