05 June 2012

I Have a Six Year Old!

It's hard to believe Benjamin is six. It's also hard to fathom what six means. I heard a lady who had triplets once say, "Now that they're six, I'm trying to give them some more freedom by letting them play outside by themselves." I thought she was crazy at the time. Now I understand.


 Benjamin was excited to open grandma's package a day early. Part 2 of her gift is still in the mail... He's waiting for it with eager anticipation.
 Alexander was excited there was something for him in the package.
 Benjamin woke up at 6 this morning ready to open presents. I had hardly gotten any sleep so I told him I needed to sleep another hour. He kept asking me every minute or two when 7 o'clock was. I asked him what the clock said and after he told me, I'd do the math for him. I'm not sure it was effective sleep that last hour, but it was nice to prolong getting up.

There can't be gifts without a Disney Cars vehicle. I had to remember not to call it "Jeff Gorvette" because Alexander loves Corvettes like Benjamin loves Mustangs and would have been extremely jealous.
 Benjamin loved being read "Jack and Annie" books at BYU Kindergarten so when he saw a set of them in the Scholastic catalog, he was sure he needed them. Gram was visiting at the time and ordered them for him. Benjamin didn't know it, but then saw them on my dresser before I got them put away. I'm not sure how he knew what the package was, but he knew. He had a hard time waiting 3-4 months to get them and I had to move where they were hiding a couple times. Luckily, I didn't forget where they were in the end. I read one today and he's already picked out ~15 more he wants me to read tomorrow! (These are small chapter books w/~100 pages each, so I'm thinking one every day or two is more reasonable.)

Daddy send him an e-card with a cat mariachi band and dancing mice and Alexander thought it was great. He must have spent 30 minutes dancing to the music this afternoon. Ryan also sang "Happy Birthday" and sent it as an MP3. I love technology! Benjamin was excited that he was sung to so many times today (Daddy; Grandma; Gram, Gramp, Uncle Kendall, and Aunt Stacy; and then with his candles).
 Benjamin never cared AT ALL about stuffed animals until the last couple of months (He also pretends a lot more then he used to. I think it's a byproduct of kindergarten experiences... He really liked "dramatic play"). I gave him a choice of going to Chuck E Cheese or Build a Bear. He picked Build a Bear. We had never been there before. It was cute how they put a heart in the animals before sewing them up. She went through a whole routine with Benjamin about rubbing it between his hands to warm it up and putting it on his muscles to make it strong, etc.
 Here he's testing it to make sure it wasn't stuffed too much or too little. I wasn't surprised that he picked the bunny.
 I love to see Alexander so excited!
 They are "washing" all the excess fuzz off. I never got a photo of Benjamin's bear dressed, but he picked Lightning McQueen jammies and slippers. Normally he has a really hard time picking things, but once he found that outfit, he was sure he wanted it. I think it's b/c he has matching slippers.
 Benjamin and Alexander got backpacks (it was that or a little tent to share) and beach towels (a current Build a Bear promotion) too. I had a coupon which made the whole experience a bit more reasonable.
 We went and played in the mall play area for hours afterwards. Benjamin "met a new friend" and didn't want to leave, but Alexander was ready to go long before we left.
 James on his 2nd or 3rd nap of the day (We had a rough night last night and with the way he's been coughing this evening, it sounds like I'm in for another long night). James was asleep when we went in to Build a Bear, but the stuffing machine woke him up. He almost came out with a stuffed Angry Bird, but he put it down at the end. I thought the cow was the cutest and figured he'd like it since he likes to moo (Oinks are a harder sound to make). He carried it around most of the time at the play area, so he seems to like it. Benjamin dubbed it "Moo-y".
I figured Alexander would pick Spider-man for his bear and he did. But he wanted to name it "Barry" (After one of the stuffed animals that used to come home with Benjamin from Kindergarten every once in a while) and not "Spider-bear" or something like that.  
We went to our friends' for dinner and I provided mini-cupcakes and ice cream w/ magic shell. I forgot to grab my camera (this is low-res from my phone). I knew Benjamin wasn't feeling well b/c he went and laid on their couch between his cupcake and ice cream. He threw up when we got home. Alexander was sick Sunday morning and I was hoping the rest of us would avoid it :( At least it seems to be a 24-hour thing so Benjamin should be fine by the time he flies to Colorado on Thursday.

No comments: