30 July 2010

Summer Reading Swim Party

One thing that made me sad to move was the thought of missing the library's summer reading swim party. It turns out that libraries all over the nation use the same annual theme (at least it's been the case in NE, CO, and UT). We did 2 weeks of the program while we were visiting my parents and then signed up for the one here when we got home.

I was happily surprised to see when we received the coupon for the pool party that if you were unable to attend from 2030 to 2200 last night (way too late for little kids), you could go during the day today or tomorrow. It also included $2 admission for family members. What a bargain!!!

Ryan has Fridays off from school and was originally going to go with us because being at a regular pool with the two kids seems like to much to handle for me, but he only has about 2 weeks of classes left and has a LOT of writing to do. I told our neighbor Leigh Ann we were going to the pool and she thought it was a great idea. Her son is in Benjamin's sunbeam class at church and they play together every day. So Ryan stayed home to study (and fold laundry... not part of the instructions, but a nice surprise nonetheless... That's what I'd be doing right now if he hadn't already done it!) I don't have a maternity swim suit so I wore work-out capris and one of Ryan's t-shirts. Not the most fashionable way to go to the pool, but it worked.
At first Alexander was wary of the water. He doesn't usually get wet when they have sprinkler parties here. He just likes to stomp in puddles... but then he discovered the slide. I went down the one on the left with him the first time and then was told by a life guard that adults weren't allowed on the small slides. I couldn't imagine sending my 17 month old down a water slide by himself, but I cautiously tried it with him on the right slide. I would set him on the lower steps and was able to get to the bottom of the slide to catch him by the time he climbed up to it. Then he would say and sign "more" and we'd do it over and over. I lost count, but I think he went down the slide 30-40+ times. I definitely got my workout for the day. Eventually, Alexander was comfortable enough in the water that he wanted to walk in the chest-high water from the bottom of the slide to the stairs by himself. He only fell in 2-3 times and it didn't phase him at all. He also would yell "whee" as he was walking around, so it was apparently a lot of fun. Benjamin entertained himself/stayed out of trouble very well while I followed Alexander around.
Alexander was really tired by the end (we were there ~4 hours). He would lay his head on my shoulder as he asked for more slide. Benjamin REALLY wanted to go down the big water slides, so Alexander and I climbed the stairs and waited in line with him. I thought Alexander would fall asleep in my arms on the way up, but he didn't. When we got to the top, the sign said that children under 48" had to do a swim test or go with an adult and only 1 child per adult could go at a time. We stood at the top for a while trying to figure out what to do. Benjamin did NOT want to walk back down the stairs and wait until next time when daddy could go with him (I'm not really sure when next time will be anyway... probably not until next summer when I enroll Benjamin in swim lessons). Finally, the lifeguards were swapping out and the one that was going off duty offered to take Benjamin down the slide with her. That was so nice and I was so grateful.

Taking Alexander down the slide was an adventure. I'm not comfortable in the water as it is and Alexander refused to wear a life jacket. I tried to slow us down all the way down to no avail. Alexander did go under momentarily when we got to the bottom and my sinuses were a bit sore, so I'm sure he got a bit water logged, but right away he was saying "more, more"... For being so wary of amusement rides, I'm surprised at times by how adventurous Alexander is. Benjamin of course wanted to go again too, but I told them it was time to go home and it was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700061321/LDS-temple-in-Ukraine-given-to-the-Lord.html

also ... haven't made entries - got frustrated ... but love to read your blogs.

Hope this one works

Bro Hartigan